Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Tour is Wrapped Up for Underground Magic Theatre


Yesterday, August 27th, I presented the final Traveling Underground Magic Theatre Show of the Summer. This whole thing was a bit of an experiment. Basically, I'm doing sophisticated and very strong magic for kids, teens and adults at Summer Camps. Usually, they are exposed to what are called 'kid show magic'. The basic difference between the two is that kid show magic tends to be a bit sillier and the emphasis is more on the overall entertainment rather than the actual magic. Kid show magic is GREAT fun and I am in no way trying to speak less of it or put it down. It's just a different style from the magic presented in the Underground Magic Theatre.

For starters, I opened with my Hula Hoop Effect. It's a big trick compared to what an audience would normally see. It takes a great deal of skill to do well and putting it into confined conditions with low ceilings is a huge problem. But I worked out a routine that made all of these issues non-existant. The reaction to the opening trick was overwhelmingly strong. I have many wonderful pieces of magic in my kid shows, but nothing has ever gotten the reaction that the Hula Hoop effect gets. The audience goes nuts for it.

Then it's followed by an old standard, the Misers Dream. Again, my Misers Dream is different from the normal fair because I use a clear bucket and some over the top sleight of hand. Sometimes though I coast, lol, and simplify the methods but the reaction from the audience is the same, they go crazy for it.

Both of these routines are done to music. The first talking routine is a clever twist on the Cups & Balls where spectators hands act as the table and the cups are placed in their hands. The reactions again are over the top because they are experiencing magic under conditions they don't expect.

The three opening routines are all historical in nature, or have some basis in magic history. I explain to the audience a little bit about the history of magic and how I have altered things to make them contemporary. Then I go into a very modern trick, a card trick using a cell phone. This is the routine that I usually bring up an adult. I found that their level of astonishment helped to sell the trick even more than I could. Basically, a signed playing card ends up INSIDE the phone.

Next I talk about HOUDINI and share some stories of his life and finish the talk with a story about Houdini which incorporates a wonderful piece of magic. It's a story of his first encounter with a young Charlie Chaplin. The routine is fun, mysterious and has an unexpected ending.

STEAMPUNK trick is next. This is a lesson in imagination. I get the audience to imagine what it would have been like if advanced technology had existed 100 years ago. I bring out a device that is essentially a small transporting device. This is right out of Star Trek, and we don't even have this technology today! But a borrowed object is caused to transport (vanish) and reappear in an impossible location. This routine also has a surprise ending.

The final piece in the show is my signature Goldfish Trick where a drawing of a goldfish comes to life. It's a smaller trick compared to everything else in the show, but the production of a live creature makes the effect BIGGER in their eyes.

There were other routines that were in the show and out of the show as the summer went along, and my favorite of those was the World's First Mobile Phone from the Year 1600. It was such a ridiculous concept that I wasn't sure if it would play and it went over great.

I will have to say the UMT was a hit. The comments after the show were just like the comments we used to receive when the UMT was an actual location. The kids, teachers, staff, everyone were completely blown away by the magic. Many people who had seen me before were stunned by the difference in what they usually see me do. The reason is because I'm really doing this as a different character. There is nothing silly or goofy in this show. That isn't to say the show is not fun, because it's filled with fun and laughter, but just a different kind of comedy.
 

I'll put some quotes below from people who saw the show and let you judge by their comments.

"Dean Alan, I always thought you were a good magician but now I know you are a great magician!"
Audience member

"I have seen  you perform many shows in the past 6 years and always enjoy them. But the changes you've made to the show are just incredible!"
Summer Camp Teacher

"This was the best magic show I have ever seen!"
A comment I heard at almost every performance

"You never age! I saw you ten years ago and you look exactly the same"
Comment by an adult, not about my show but I kind liked this comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment