Thursday, December 11, 2014

My Column Coming To An End 2015


I just submitted the final 4 columns for my All Things Magical column that I write for the KidAbra Journal. The Journal is the official magazine for members of Kidabra International. It's basically an association of Kidshow performers. Seven years ago, the editor Mark Daniel, asked if I would consider writing a column for his magazine. He had heard through the grapevine that I was very creative. I decided to give it a shot, thinking at the time I might write for a year, maybe two. By the time my column finishes it will have run for 8 years total.
I created a number of really interesting tricks for the column. I also gave the readers some of the effects from my own working repetiore. A couple times I veered from trick writing to book reviews and the occasional essay on magic.  It was 'ALL' Things Magical afterall, I figured I could write whatever I wanted. Only one time in the history of my column did something NOT get published and that was an article I wrote about a dear friend of mine. The main reason it wasn't published is because Mark felt there was more to add and frankly, so did I. That one, never saw the light of day, but will likely make it into print down the road.

I think my column was the only one in the magazine that was sent in completely finished and formated. That was a fairly recent change however, like within the last few years. Prior to that I just mailed in the photos and text and let them do it.

By the way, in 2010, I took over as the Cover Designer for the magazine. NOT an easy task either when you see some of the photos I have to work with!!!!! But I think the covers have looked really good for the most part. There were one or two that I wasn't thrilled with, but the editors preferred those versions over my favorite versions. I guess that's what I get for sending in a couple different versions to choose from.

I want to add, Mark and Tami Daniel have been so great to work with over the years. They put out a first class magazine. Even though it's supposed to be for kid show performers, the magazine is filled with columns on marketing, sales, promotion, showmanship and so much more. It really is a magazine for Professional performers.

Eventually, I will gather up all the columns and put them into a book, but not right now. I've got too much on my plate for that. Before any sort of book comes out, I'll actually be manufacturing and releasing one of the effects from my column.

I'm guessing my columns will run out some time by mid year 2015. So if you get the magazine, you'll still get to enjoy my column a few more times before it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment