Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Thurston The Magician-Art


It's hard for me to say who is my favorite magician. I go through phases where different ones are more appealing. Howard Thurston is certainly near the top. He was an amazing individual and frankly, even more amazing to me after having read the recent biography that Jim Steinmeyer wrote.

The picture above was done in 2000 and is actually taken from an earlier painting that I did of Thurston presenting the Sawing in Half. I liked the face so much I recreated it for this painting. Later, I decided to try it one more time, slightly differently and that third painting is in a private collection today. The photo above though has the unique distinction of being signed 'Dean Alan'. This was done before I started signing DAC to the artwork.

This next piece was done in 2009 I believe. It's painted with acrylics on canvas. The size is 16x20. The painting appeared in the August 2010 edition of the Kidabra Journal. It is currently in my collection, though it is available for sale.

This last piece is a drawing I did of Thurston. It goes back to my high school days, many moons ago. It ink on paper and approximately 10x12 I think. It's not available for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment