Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Next Big Trick

Every magician is searching for that 'next big trick', the trick that will take their act to the next level or help sustain the level they're at. But usually, there is no real 'next big trick'. Truth is, developing material to fit your personality is the best course of action. And I know, that sounds like the same ole thing that is always said. But let me give you an example.

Take the Cups & Balls. You won't find a much older trick than the Cups and Balls. Countless magicians present that effect. Many do the exact same routine, still others vary it slightly, with different sleights and maybe different sequences. Someone like a Tommy Wonder takes the trick and turns it on it's head, with two drastically different interpretations, one for stage and one for close-up. Jason Latimer introduces clear glasses and does things that don't seem humanly possible. Suzanne adds a story to give the routine purpose and drive the action. Penn & Teller added clear cups in an effort to expose the trick and Ricky Jay uses, Cups, Bowls and a Candlestick to illustrate the history of the trick during performance.

All of them are doing the Cups and Balls, but all of those variations are different. THIS is an example of how you take a routine and fit it to who you are. Of course, if you don't know who you are, then it's not magic that you need help with.

I recently added a Jim Steinmeyer trick to my show. I remember mentioning it on Facebook, and I got a number for responses from friends, things like "well he just spent thousands of dollars" and things of that nature. Indeed, I did add a J.S. trick to my show. No, I did not spend thousands of dollars. No, I'm not going to tell you which one. I can tell you, it's probably very overlooked and highly underestimated. I don't think it's a good trick for a beginner because it involves a degree of audience control that a beginner might lack. It's not a perfect trick, in that it has limitations on who can understand it. Yet, it's still a brilliant effect and I figured out how to make it play for me. I consider it a 'work in progress' even though it's been hitting home runs since it's first introduction in my show. WHY would I consider it a 'work in progress' if it's doing so well? Because the process of making it 'mine' is an ongoing thing. The jokes and comedy from the effect are all mine and continue to evolve. The extra bits of business I've added are mine. The completely alternative routine, which was a suggestion of a friend, adds a dimension to the routine not even suggested by Mr. Steinmeyer.

I don't actually like doing tricks created by others. But if I do, I'm going to take the basic effect and change and alter it in anyway I can to make it unique to me. I remember something Teller once said, he said "The person who does a trick the best, OWNS it!". That is something to think about. Years ago, Michael Ammar said something similar, though I forget his exact quote. Basically, the idea was to do a version of the trick so well that it becomes associated with you. If you've done that, then you've definitely made that trick your own and you've more than likely discovered 'the next big trick' for you.


For the record, I'm also developing a different twist on the Cups and Balls :)

No comments:

Post a Comment