Monday, December 20, 2010

Ancestry +


During my last post I mentioned my new hobby of searching through ancestory.com. What an amazing site, though I'm finding it has some limitations. But still for the amount of things I found, it's truly a priceless resource. The photo here is of a house, not just any house. This is the house that my Grandmother lived in in 1920 with her parents, brothers and sisters and her Grandparents.

How did I find it? The 1920 Census had the address listed and I then looked it up on GoogleEarth. I expected to find a vacant lot or a parking garage or industrial building. I never expected to locate the actual house. Now I'm not 100% sure this is the actual house, but looking at it, I'd say I'm 90% sure this is it and if it isn't then it's still the lot where the house had been. The house in that photo is of the style of home from that time period and it's certainly at least 70 years old if not older.

UPDATE: Talked to my Dad who said he actually remembers the house when he was a kid. So I found the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment