Monday, December 13, 2010

One of My Favorite Things About 2010


I have to say one of my more favorable memories of 2010 has been the increase in original magic and routines in my show. I've always tried to make routines my own, but for some reason something snapped in me this year and I just started working on routines that were far more original.

I'm not sure there is anything completely original, but I do strive for uniqueness. I was thrilled with the routine called GERMAPHOBE, which as you might guess was a trick with germs. I have a feeling that there will be a GERMAPHOBE 2.0 down the road as well. The Automaton Duck Story that I developed and then the repainting of a very standard prop was something that really caught me by surprise. I took a trick that I actually hated and tried to come up with an angle that would make it relevant today. My choice of angles worked and I ended up with a piece that totally enthralled adults.

The Candy Sands is another that just has me thrilled. I wrote up a version of it for my column but the routine that I created for myself is completely different. Imagine doing the Sands of Egypt trick with candy, well that is essentially what Candy Sands is. Does it play well? YESSS!

There are a number of creations that have yet to make it in the show. And of course there are subtle changes to existing routines that have made them even stronger. My favorite change for an existing routine is with an effect where two hand drawn images change places. I had always played it in a very comical fashion in the past. But the newer routine really focuses on the art. It's funny but sometimes the smallest change can take a routine from being just ok, to great.

I'm looking forward to a major change in my linking Hula Hoop routine. I think after 20 years of performing it and adding a bunch of moves that were not in the original routine that I can safely call this version mine. It's the new ending that I'm most excited about. I may have finally found what I've been looking for. Sorry for being cryptic, but I don't want to give it away nor to I want someone else running out and claiming it as their own before I debut it. Needless to say it's very cool and very different.

2011 looks to be even bigger and better in the creativity department. Looking forward to the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment