Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Fine Art of Magic - Houdini


I have been a magician for more my entire adult life. The only thing I've been interested in almost as long is art. There was a period of time when I was 'art free' meaning I didn't do anything related to art. But I picked it up again a few years ago and have enjoyed every minute of it.

Most of my art is related to what I do, magic. So the majority of my artwork consists of paintings of magicians. There are close to 100 paintings of various magicians and when the urge strikes, the number usually jumps up by intervals of 5 or 10. I have a feeling there may be some new artwork coming before 2010 is over.

For now though I'd like to start with the piece above. This is the first painting in a series that I call "The Magic Hat Series".  It's Harry Houdini wearing a hat. This was supposed to be an exercise in painting. I honestly didn't expect it to turn out the way it did. I just started throwing colors down on the canvas and the result surprised me. Once the face was done I slowed down a lot and I wish I hadn't. I wish I had just gone crazy during the entire thing. Of course I may have ruined it, but I still think it looks quite cool. This painting is 16x20.

I work in acrylics primarily and usually on canvas or canvas board. My artwork has been featured on the covers of a couple magazines. It's also been featured in a book on Magic & Art. I have several pieces hanging in the Gallery of the Larcom Theatre in Beverly Mass. There are also a number of pieces in private collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment