Monday, December 13, 2010

Mall Shows Are Back

White Flint Mall

This was my set-up at White Flint Mall in Maryland on Halloween.
I've performed at this mall before but it's been a few years. I was VERY surprised at the number of people that crammed themselves into a fairly small area to see the show. There were people as far as the eye could see and even more up above on the second level. Due to the fact people showed up early, I went ahead and started the show a little early. The end result was that I did 59 minutes.

The stage area is quite small so there were no big illusions in the show. What I did do however was a great deal of audience participation routines. The one thing I left out that I wish I had done was my Challenge Rope Escape.  This is my adaptation of a routine made famous by Steve Baker, known professionally as Mr.Escape and he called it 'The Tug of War' Rope Tie. That really sums up the actions and the look of the tie. It's a bear of a tie too and fun to do. It's one of those things I've always gone into with complete lack of fear and maybe that is why I've had success with it. I've had people tie so tight I thought my wrists would snap off. But so far I've never gotten stuck. That isn't to say the actual escape is easy. And 9 times out of 10 when it's over and I think back on it I wonder why I didn't get stuck. Unfortunately for the audience present I didn't think it would fit in with the other material that day so I dropped it from the show.

So that's what I left out! lol. What I did was a lot of Halloween themed routines with ghosts, pumpkins, witches, more ghosts, haunted houses, did I mention ghosts? oh and some really unusual card magic.
I will say it was nice being back at a Mall again. I always enjoyed that market and it's been a while since I've been in a mall to shop, let alone do a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment