Monday, December 13, 2010

A Day In The Life

Since my previous blog died on me (actually my computer died and fowled everything up), I was forced to move my blog over here. Whereas my previous blog covered everything, I've broken it up since the move into three separate blogs. The Magic History stuff is covered under www.deancarnegie.blogspot.com, The Art related stuff  and everything else is covered under www.artistofmystery.blogspot.com

Let me say as a performer and one who knows a lot of other full time entertainers, the climate for entertainment is really rough. I know of a bunch of people that have just decided to get out of the business all together. I know of a lot of folks whose show numbers are way down. And I know folks whose numbers are way up.

The full time entertainment business is not for the weak or unsure. It's also not for those who aren't willing to occasionally suffer for your art. I remember a few years back when people were getting into magic full time like it was the easiest job in the world. Now I look and most of those folks are gone.

Personally, though I've felt the 'roughness' as well, it just means you have to work even harder for the gigs than you did before. And if you aren't willing to work harder, then you shouldn't be in this business anyway. I love what I do and I work at it 24/7. Ok, maybe not 24/7, but rest assured I'm thinking about it right up until the moment I fall asleep. Often in the middle of the night I wake up with some idea or concept that I'll have to write down to insure it's not forgotten. This is the way of things for a full timer.

Looking at 2011, I see a year of excitement and energy and record setting show schedule. I'm thrilled that the new year is upon us. It's going to be great, just wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment