Thursday, December 9, 2010

One Other From Magic Hat Series


I almost forgot this one. I guess because this is technically the oddball. You see all of the Magic Paintings are of magicians named Harry, except this one. The first was Harry HOUDINI, the second was Harry KELLAR, third Harry BLACKSTONE, next Harry JANSEN, last Harry ANDERSON. This one is Alexander Herrmann.

This guy is interesting. First, he really was the first BIG magician in America even before Harry Kellar. Herrmann however wasn't so much an Illusionist, though he did have a couple large effects in his show. And from what I've read, he was quite the comedian. Alexander Herrmann is the fellow where we get the iconic image of the magician and the top hat and mustache. Though I'm not sure Herrmann ever wore a top hat, but mustache, you bet!

This painting was actually #4 in the series. It matches Kellar in style, but for whatever reason I think I missed on the Blackstone. Regardless, it's a very cool painting. I tried to chose magicians who wore different hats. Kellar and Harry Anderson have fedoras but at least they are different colors. And surprisingly only one magician wears a top hat and that is Harry Jansen, known professionally as Dante.

No comments:

Post a Comment