Sunday, December 5, 2010

Harry Kellar - Magic Hat Series


Harry Kellar is one of my favorite magicians. Though I must admit my favorite magicians list is pretty long! Harry Kellar was the first big named illusionist in America. His performing career spanned the late 1800's until around 1910. When Frank Baum was writing the Wizard of Oz he used Kellar as his inspiration for the Wizard character.

Kellar was my second piece in The Magic Hat Series. I did not rush this one like I did the Houdini. In fact, it sat for almost a month with only 1/3rd of it having been painted before I really got serious about it. Once I did get my mind straight on it, I finished it rather quickly. I thought it was a natural progression from the Houdini and was very happy with the finished piece.

This painting is slightly larger than the Houdini. This one is 20x24 and was painted with acrylics.

No comments:

Post a Comment